POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : We need Fresnel reflectance. : Re: We need Fresnel reflectance. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: We need Fresnel reflectance.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 27 May 1999 10:33:39
Message: <374d49b3.0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 27 May 1999 05:12:15 GMT, Steve H. wrote:
>I posted a large message about this problem several months ago and it fell
>between the newsgroup cracks, I suppose you could say, and went unnoticed.

I remember the message.  If you grab the 3.1e DOS or Linux source, you'll
find that it's been fixed in those versions, so it's been fixed in the
3.1e Windows version and in the Superpatch as well.

>>You might want to check out Wyzard's variable/blurred reflection patch first.
>>It's supposed to do Fresnel reflectance.  It's included in the superpatch, or
>>you can get a standalone POV 3.0 version.  Both are at
>>http://twysted.net/patchstation .
>
>I got a URL Not Found for that one.  Maybe there is another place?  Thanks,

twysted.net went offline recently, as discussed in povray.general.  I'm
working on getting the superpatch online somewhere else.  I don't know of
anywhere else you could get wyzpov.  If you don't mind getting your hands
dirty, the generic source for the current superpatch is at
http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/super31e.zip
Hints on what you need to add to your project file, makefile, or whatever
to build the superpatch can be found in a recent posting on the unofficial
patches newsgroup, and more hints on building for Unix are in the povray.unix
group.  Yes, I'm working on consolidating all of this.

Documentation on the old (3.1a) superpatch features isn't included, but if you
really need it I can email you a copy of the docs.

Also, a little heavily-unsupported trick:  if you increment EDITDLLVERSION
at the top of pvedit.h you can apparently use the 3.1a code with the 3.1e
editor.  I haven't had any problems yet, but be aware that some of the APIs
might have changed and you could get a crash in some obscure place.  My
next version of the superpatch will work with both the 3.1a and 3.1e editors,
though I'll only support using the 3.1a editor.